We’re one week home from a much-needed break, and even though it feels like we were never away, I know we actually were because I’m still rifling through the 50,000 phone photos I took.
When I heard the learn’d astronomer;
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them;
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.
- Walt Whitman
Breaking pre-holiday work craziness just to say: this video and song are wonderful. Reminds me of Amy Poehler’s perfect response to a guy who was interviewing her complaining that there were too many expectations of how men should be because, “Being cool is, like, passé. And now you have to be awkward and adorkable.” Amy:”Well, this feeling that you’re having right now – which is like “I’m supposed to be all things” – is a feeling that women have every day and have their whole lives. So you’re just starting to experience it now.”
Photo borrowed from here
It’s Saturday! I’m in the Shire! Off for a walk in the sunny fresh air soon, and it’s exactly what I need. If you’re relaxing with a nice cup of something hot, then here’s a few bits and bobs…
- Interesting analysis on why women don’t apply to jobs unless they meet 100% of the criteria
- English Heritage list of places in the UK to visit for that beautiful Autumn colour
- Props to this guy in Leeds who figured out how to make money from those annoying PPI calls…
- The phenomenal finalists of the 2014 Wildlife Photographer of the Year (honestly, some of these terrify me)
- Hilary Clinton’s expression when she’s asked the second question here says it all really…
Have a great weekend!
I’m so excited it’s the weekend! After a heavy workload for a couple of weeks, I’m glad to have a couple of days to lie flat on my face and do nothing; Chief basically has the right idea. Maybe there’ll be a bit of cycling in there, and some errands and maybe brunch, and damn, I do have my final long run before the 10k next week but other than that…! I will not be moving for the world. Here’s some weekend reading for you – have a good one!
- The Disruption Myth
- there’s a giant Hippo in the Thames! I can confirm, it’s adorable.
- The theory of awesomeness
- My favourite coverage that came out of the Scottish Indyref was basically John Oliver’s spot. #Unicorn
- Food 52′s 8 favourite food blogs of the week
- 16 instagram accounts that will make you dream of Ireland
- How long would it take you to read the entirety of the Game of Thrones? Or Anna Karenina? This infographic can tell you.
- Moleskine released a coffee journal. Oh. Yes.
- I never found bull terriers cute until these adorable photo/illustrations
Week 2 of the Great iPhone clearance and good things are happening…
- Drink all the apple cider (as in the American-style hot drink)
- Knit a new scarf
- Gather conkers
- Find a pumpkin patch in the US in October/go apple picking
- Make copious (GF) blackberry & apple crumbles
- Walk in the leaves
- Watch Hocus Pocus, My Fair Lady and all the other dark-evenings-are-coming ritual films that I love
- Steal all the hugs, light all the scented candles, wear alllll the crew neck jumpers!
- Finally get round to a good golden hour shoot
- Run my third organised 10k of the year (and actually cross something off my January goals list!)
…just going to leave this here…